Our Samsung 360 camera review will provide you with everything you need to know about the company’s first attempt at a camera that can take photos and videos in a 360-degree rotation. One of the best things about these camera types is their versatility. These devices are great for extreme athletes, professional journalists, gamers, models, and hobbyists. Each section of our Samsung Gear 360 camera review will take you through its specifications and key features including image standards, overall design, pros, cons, and our own recommendations. We’ll give you our verdict at the end and invite you to share your thoughts with us.
Samsung 360 Specs
- Tell the whole story with the 360° camera that captures every angle in 4K brilliance and share instantly
- Capture life as it happens in stunning 4K video and 15MP photos thanks to dual 180° lenses
- Gear 360 is easy to hold and take with you, and has an IP53 water-resistant rating*
- Preview and edit your videos with an easy-to-use app, or share them straight to social** or Samsung VR with your Galaxy S8 or S8+ ***
- Upload your photos or videos to Samsung VR to experience your moments in virtual reality
Several critics think the Samsung 360 camera is easy to operate and provides powerful technology in a compact package. The first part of our Samsung 360 camera review will cover its technical specifications.
Type: Dual 360-degree camera
- Photos: 15 megapixels using both lenses, 3 megapixels using just one lens.
- Video: 4096 x 2048 at 24 frames per second with dual lenses, 1920 x 1080 at 60 frames per second with one lens.
ISO: Up to 1600
Shutter Speed: Static
Continuous Shouting Rate: N/A
Size: 3.96 x 1.82 x 1.77 inches (100.6 x 46.3 x 45.1 millimeters)
Weight: 4.5 ounces (130 grams)
Media Storage: Compatible with an external microSD card with up to 256 gigabytes of storage space.
App: iTunes & Google Play
Our Samsung 360 camera review focuses on the latest Gear model the company released. While it is similar to its predecessor, it is smaller and lighter, making it easier for you to take it with you and grab those difficult shots.
It only takes a few taps in the app to switch view modes to the one you need. This feature allows you to adjust the camera’s settings in any situation to get the shot you need. This section of our Samsung Gear 360 camera review will take you take you through its key features in several categories.
Image Quality and Performance
One of the upgrades to the new version of the gear is its resolution. You can record videos in 4K resolution using its dual camera functionality. This is a great benchmark, but you should keep in mind that the 4K image you are recording is spread around the entire sphere of the camera. This version of the Gear has separate 8.4-megapixels sensors rather than the 15-megapixel one on its predecessor. The framerate slows to a maximum of 24 per second for 4K. If you want to capture videos at higher framerates, you can shoot in 2880 x 1440 at 30 frames per second or 2560 x 1280 at 60 frames per second.
No Samsung Gear 360 camera review would be complete without discussing the quality of its photographs. The newest version of the camera improves on the old version in terms of saturation and color balance. As a result of these improvements, still images taken with this camera appear to be more vivid than ever.
Design and Controls
The camera’s body is more compact and lightweight than its predecessor, but the new dimensions don’t make it any harder to control. A small menu button allows you to cycle through the available options of time-lapse, HDR, standard photo, and HD video modes with ease. You can’t miss the red ‘Record’ button, and the power button performs double duty as a back button when you need to navigate through the menus.
Overall, the design and placement of the controls might be a little tight for some people, but everything should still be manageable. The small screen displays data without any issues and can do so even in bright light. You can hook the Gear up to a compatible phone to take care of the entire process from that interface if you prefer.
The camera has standard lenses you can use together or separately. Each one has an 8.4-megapixel sensor.
Our Samsung Gear 360 camera review found several strengths that should appeal to professionals and hobbyists alike:
- The design is lightweight and easy to transport in a pocket.
- 4K HD video capture options have been expanded and improved.
- It is a self-contained device.
- The design resists both moisture and dust.
- It has a large memory capacity.
- It’s an affordable 360 camera.
- There’s a wide range of options for both photos and videos.
- You can stitch videos together automatically.
We discovered a few downsides when conducting our Samsung 360 camera review:
- Although the camera is resistant to moisture, it is not fully waterproof.
- When you stitch videos together, the stitch lines can be quite visible.
- You may need the latest Samsung phone for connectivity support.
- 4K footage is great but limited to only 24 frames per second.
- Standard photo resolution and quality has improved but 360-degree photos may be blurry in rare cases.
It’s difficult to focus our Samsung 360 camera review on just one group of intended users. The camera is versatile enough that it can be a great choice for many people. Its compact size and design make it a great choice for anyone who travels a lot and finds their space at a premium. The simplicity of its controls makes it an ideal choice for casual hobbyists.
If you need a 360-degree camera for your real estate business in order to set up virtual tours, the Ricoh Theta camera might be a better choice for you. It’s easy to use and requires no software to run. Other good alternatives are the Akaso EK7000, the EK5000, and the Victure action camera as they are reliable and inexpensive.
If you want to take the best pictures with an action camera, we recommend going through our collection of the best GoPro photography tips!
The latest version of Samsung’s 360-degree camera makes some improvements over the older model and will only get better from here. Our Samsung 360 camera review should provide you with all the details on its specifications and features to help you make an informed choice.
Whether you need a good 360 camera to record adventures of your travels or to get the perfect shot during an extreme sport, Samsung’s Gear can help you. Please feel free to share your experiences using this camera with us.
Last update on 2021-03-03 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API