Our GoPro Hero 5 Black review will provide you with an in-depth analysis of the action camera’s features. One thing we liked most during our GoPro 5 Black review was that the camera seemed to be a solid choice for beginners and experienced users alike depending on their preferences. We take you through the Hero 5 Black’s specifications and technical details before moving on to its key features. Part of our GoPro Hero 5 Black review will focus on aspects of its image quality and design, and we will tell you everything we liked and disliked about this model.
GoPro Hero 5 Black Specs
- Stunning 4K video and 12MP photos in Single, Burst and Time Lapse modes. Charger not included
- Durable by design, HERO5 Black is waterproof to 33ft (10m) without a housing
- Additional GoPro HERO5 Black Features + Benefits below on item page. Time Lapse Photo Intervals: 0.5, 1, 2, 5, 10, 30, 60 seconds
- Preview and playback your shots, change settings and trim your footage, all on your GoPro.
- NOTE: Check User Manual on Technical Specification and Instruction video available before use
The first section of our GoPro 5 Black review will detail the technical specifications of the camera. Some of these features may help you decide if this GoPro model meets your action camera needs.
Type: Action camera
- Photos: 12-megapixel maximum resolution.
- Video: 3840 x 2160 maximum resolution at 30 frames per second; 1920 x 1440 at 80 frames per second; 1920 x 1080 at 90 frames per second; these resolutions include 4k and wide-angle frame support.
ISO: ISO can be adjusted individually using the ProTune app. Adjusting spot metering may allow for lower ISO settings in dim conditions.
Shutter Speed: Manually adjustable using the ProTune app. Variable based on video, photo, or timed camera modes.
Continuous Shouting Rate: N/A
Size: 1.75 x 2.44 x 1.26 inches (44.45 x 61.97 x 32.00 millimeters)
Weight: 4.16 ounces (105.66 grams)
Media Storage: You can use an external microSD card with up to 256 gigabytes of storage space. It may support larger cards.
The next part of our GoPro Hero 5 Black review involved preliminary testing to find some of its key features. One thing we noticed immediately was how effective the Electronic Image Stabilization, or EIS, was on this camera. EIS is an important aspect of action cameras as it helps to minimize image blurriness and the shaking that comes with using cameras on the move. Unlike some of its predecessors, the Hero 5 Black does include GPS support.
Image Quality and Performance
During our GoPro 5 Black Review, we were pleased to discover the return of the ProTune app. This part of the device allows you to make manual changes to aspects of your photos or videos including spot metering, shutter speed, sharpness, the iso, white balance, and the maximum frames per second. Being able to control all these aspects gives you a wide range of versatility during your shoots.
You have the option to shoot video in 4K HD resolution if you’d like, but you can also lower that resolution to increase the frame rate. We found that the image quality was still pretty impressive even on the lower resolution settings. The camera’s microphones are sensitive enough to pick up soft noises from some distance away, and you can always edit any extraneous noise during post-processing.
Design and Controls
Although our GoPro Hero 5 Black review found that the touchscreen was not always as sensitive as it should be, it’s still an improvement on older interfaces. It’s now easier than ever to change photo modes or access different settings and wireless connections.
The voice commands feature makes it easy for action camera novices to access certain features or program the camera as well. This is another reason our GoPro 5 Black review found that it’s a good choice for beginners.
The lens itself is fixed in a focus-free style, but the aperture is relatively small. This small size increases the depth field on the lens and may allow you to increase the sharpness of your photos or videos.
We appreciated many things during our GoPro Hero 5 Black review:
- The overall video and photographic image quality of this camera is excellent.
- Its Electronic Image Stabilization feature works well.
- The microphones pick up a wide range of sounds even at great distances.
- It’s waterproof up to 10 meters/33 feet even without the casing.
- You can choose from several still image options.
- Voice technology makes it easy to operate the camera.
- It is compatible with older mounting hardware.
- The overall design is an improvement on previous models.
During our GoPro 5 Black review, we found a few things that could use some improvement. Some minor issues we noticed included:
- It is not compatible with batteries from older models.
- Although the Electronic Image Stabilization is an effective tool, it does not work at the 4K resolution.
- The touchscreen responsiveness could be improved.
- You will need a case if you want to use the GoPro Hero 5 Black during any diving activities.
Thanks to our GoPro Hero 5 Black review, we can recommend the camera if your previous model is a little worse for wear, or you just want to upgrade to the latest technology. We think this camera is a solid choice if you are new to GoPro but need an action camera for documenting your travels.
If you love GoPro cameras, you might also want to check out our collection of GoPro photography tips!
While our GoPro 5 Black review finds that the camera is suitable for newcomers and experienced action camera enthusiasts alike, we understand that you might be looking for more affordable alternatives. The YI company has an action camera with the same HD capabilities of the Hero 5 at a lower price point.
Our GoPro 5 Black review found a lot of positive features that seem to outweigh the few negative ones on our list. It’s even a good choice for action camera beginners, though we recommend looking elsewhere if you just want to see how action cameras work.
The GoPro Hero 5 Black expands on the great features offered by its predecessors with an improved design and extras such as GPS support. Please share your thoughts on this action camera with us in the section below.