Street photography is all about documenting everyday life and society within public places. You can practice street photography pretty much everywhere – on the road, in public squares, at the beach or park – you don’t have to travel to capture great shots. If you are new to street photography, we have compiled a list of 12 street photography tips that will help you identify those decisive moments and take better shots.
1. Take Your Camera Everywhere
Street photography is spontaneous, you never know when and where would be able to witness the perfect photo opportunity. Always have a street photography camera with you and you will never miss an opportunity to capture those “Kodak moments,” which, by the way, occur at the most unexpected times.
2. Choose a Good Camera
This is an important tip for those who want to perfect their street photography techniques. Those starting off street photography may be tempted to use long zoom lens since they can be far from the scene but still be able to capture the action. This will not do you any good; photography on the street is about getting up close and being part of the action!
- 20.1 Megapixel(effective) Plus 8x Zoom and number of pixels (Gross)is approx. 20.4 megapixels
- Optical Steady Shot image Stabilization with 2-way Active Mode
- 720p MP4 HD Movie Mode ; This product is compatible with Final Cut Pro X and iMovie.
- Panorama Shooting: 360 Sweep Panorama; Minimum Illumination: Auto: 22.0 lux Shutter Speed 1/30
- Picture Effect: Still images: Toy camera, Pop Color, Partial Color, Soft High-key, Panoramas: Pop Color, Partial Color, Soft High-key, Movies: Toy camera, Pop Color, Partial Color, Soft High-key
- MP Super HAD CCD sensor for beautifully detailed images. Blink Detection
- Sony Lens w/ 5x Optical Zoom and 360 sweep panorama
- Reduced blur with SteadyShot Image stabilization
- Capture your videos in 720p HD Movie mode
- Simplify camera menu with Easy Mode.
Professional street photographers will use a compact camera rather than a DSLR which is large, heavy, and conspicuous. If you don’t like compact cameras, however, you can try out a small DSLR like the Nikon D3300.
3. Check Your Camera Settings
As mentioned above, you only have a short time to capture the action; therefore, having your camera ready is highly recommended. Switch your camera to aperture priority mode (many pro photographers and hobbyist photographers shoot in this mode). Also, set your aperture (f-stop) and ISO manually.
- 16MP 1/2.3" BSI CMOS Sensor
- NIKKOR f/3.0-6.5mm ED Lens
- 22.5-900mm (35mm Equivalent)
- 40x Optical Zoom Lens, 80x Dynamic Zoom
- 3" 921k-Dot Tilting LCD
The approximate distance from where you will shoot your subject is 3 to 10 feet, therefore, remember to set the aperture to f/8. This way, anyone within the range will be in focus.
4. Get Closer to Your Subject
This is one of the important tips for street photography. Candid photography is thrilling if a photographer becomes part of the scene and gets close enough to capture their skin texture, emotions, and facial expressions. A wide-angle lens (24, 28, or 35mm) gives you a perspective which makes your image viewer feel as though he/she was part of the moment.
- 1 of Canon EOS Rebel T6 Digital SLR Camera Kit with EF-S 18-55mm and EF 75-300mm Zoom Lenses (Black)
- 1 of SanDisk Extreme 16GB SDHC UHS-I Card (SDSDXNE-016G-GNCIN) [Newest Version]
A wide-angle lens also allows the photographer to blend in with those in the environment and not as a person outside the crowd aiming a long lens at strangers.
5. Experiment with “Rat’s Eye View” Shots
People react differently when under observation, so the easiest way to take pictures of their interaction is unaware. Shooting at low angles is useful in situations where it is impossible to raise the camera to the eye; e.g. during street photography. It may be challenging at first, but as you become familiar with your camera and the focal length, you will be a pro at capturing candid moments from low angles.
- Bring the action in super close with category class leading 60X optical zoom (20mm-1200mm)
- Experience Full 1080/60i HD Panasonic Video recording with auto focus
- Zoom focused Dolby quality sound recording locks out ambient noise for enhanced audio quality
- Dimensions (W x H x D) 130.2 x 97.0 x 118.2 mm / (5.13 x 3.82 x 4.65 inch)
- 20x optical zoom and 40x with Dynamic Fine Zoom, an enhanced digital zoom function that effectively doubles your reach
- Target Finding AF for accurate, intelligent autofocus
- Full HD 1080/60i videos with stereo sound
- 18 Scene Modes
- Built-in Wi-Fi and Near Field Communication technology allow you to wirelessly share photos to a compatible smartphone
6. Pick Your Subjects Wisely
This is probably the most important of all the street photography tips in this article. You must choose your subject wisely; some subjects may find the act of you photographing them a bit creepy. Nevertheless, most people like having their pictures taken, so as long as you ask politely, they will allow you to photograph them.
7. Be Spontaneous & Trust Your Instincts
As a photographer, you probably know that the essence of taking pictures of people, things or situations is because they are of some importance to us. When we transfer our feelings into photography and shoot passionately, it reflects through our work. So go ahead, be spontaneous and shoot anything or situation that you feel means something to you.
8. Practice Whenever Possible
As with any other exercise, practice makes perfect. This is one of the important street photography tips that we can’t forget to mention. It doesn’t matter where you are, be it in a small town where there aren’t any decent public places or on a dimly lit street, just take as many pictures as you can.
- 5x wide-angle NIKKOR zoom lens
- Large 3.0-inch LCD
- 720p HD video with sound
- Smart Portrait System
- Runs on regular AA batteries
- SnapBridge Bluetooth Connectivity
- 24.2MP DX-Format CMOS Sensor
- EXPEED 4 Image Processor
- No Optical Low-Pass Filter. Bluetooth Specification Version 4.1. Wi-Fi Functionality-Eye-Fi Compatible
- Native ISO 100-25600; 5 fps Shooting. Compatability information: C firmware v. 1.10 and later ( released August 31, 2016 )
If you do this frequently, you will perfect your art and be prepared to capture those decisive moments.
9. Patience is Key
This is an important tip that we had to include in this list of street photography tips. There is this weird misconception surrounding street photography that street photographers need always be on the move hunting that elusive shot. Well, this is completely and utterly wrong.
Most often the best street photographs come from photographers who understand the value of patience. Therefore, the next time you come across a dreamy background which is cluttered with a few distractions, hang out for some time and wait for the “perfect” subject to come into the scene.
10. Tell a Story
This is also one of the important street photography tips that photographers should have at the back of their minds. Any street photograph should tell a story; your images should clearly reflect the emotions of your subject while their environment should lay a foundation for your subject.
- 4X Optical Zoom
- 27mm Wide Angle;Compatible with PC or Mac
- 16 Megapixels;Compatible with PC or Mac.Focal Length 4.9 mm (Wide) - 19.6 mm (Tele). Shutter Speed: 1/2000 - 4 Seconds
- 2.7" LCD Screen
- 720p HD Video
- 24 MP APS-C CMOS sensor and Focus Sensitivity Range :EV 0 to EV 20 (at ISO 100 equivalent with F2.8 lens attached)
- ISO 100-25600 (expandable to 51200). Lens compatibility- Sony E-mount lenses
- Hybrid AF with 179-point focal plane phase-detection and 25 contrast detect points
- Up to 11 FPS continious shooting
- 3-inch tilting LCD with 921,000 dots.Viewfinder Type:0.39 in-type electronic viewfinder (color)
The best way to do this is by first imagining how you would like your photos to look like. What is your background going to be like? How are your subjects going to interact with one another in the scene? Finally, ask yourself the kind of emotion you would like to convey with your photo.
11. Street Photography Tips Last Point – Have Fun!
The list will be incomplete without including having fun among the important street photography tips. Creativity and passion co-exist; where there is passion, creativity flows. So get out there, do what you love as you meet new people and see life from a fresh perspective each day.
- The Beginner s Photography Guide 2nd Edition
- Chris Gatcum
- Publisher: DK
- Edition no. 0 (05/10/2016)
- Paperback: 192 pages
- Jim Miotke
- Amphoto Books
- Kindle Edition
- Used Book in Good Condition
- Neil Johnson
- Publisher: National Geographic Children's Books
- Hardcover: 80 pages
Having read this article on “street photography tips” this far it is evident that you are interested in street photography and would like to explore it further. Do not be afraid to pursue your hobby or career, get a good camera with the best lens for street photography and hit the road. Before you go, do not forget to share with us any other street photography tips we might have missed. You can also check out our article on candid photography tips if you want to perfect your street photography techniques.